Friday 11 April 2014

The Promise box

This year, 2014, marks the beginning of the centenary of the First World War, a war that claimed the lives of 16 million people across the world.

I can not begin to even imagine how difficult it must have been to live in those times.
The women and children who were left behind as their husbands, fathers, brothers, sons, nephews and uncles went off to the front must have been so anxious and scared for what might happen to them.There were very few families who were untouched by loss and grief.

In the First World War, it was a popular tradition for soldiers to give their wives or sweethearts something called a Promise box. Inside were little paper scrolls of bible verses to encourage and lift heavy hearts.






My husband, Phil, who is in the Army, gave me this Promise box for our wedding anniversary last year. This particular box is a reproduction of those that may have been given all those years ago.


The idea is that when feeling the need of God's comfort and reassurance you would use the tweezers and randomly pull out one of the little scrolls with a verse inside.



This is the verse I pulled out today!

As a Christian, I lean on God in times of trouble or uncertainty because I know that He is always there for me and will help me and comfort me. 

Phil goes away to Afghanistan again this June for 6 months. No doubt I will dip into my Promise box from time to time to help me through our time of separation. 
I trust in God's promises to me and I know He will be watching over Phil too. 

I hope the Promise boxes brought comfort to those wives and sweethearts left behind a century ago. May those who lost their lives fighting for our country never be forgotten. God bless them all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment