Friday 28 December 2012

My African child...

As you know, I have 3 girls, Sarah, Laura and Eleanor. Back in 2004, I found myself in the new role of being a single parent and I have to admit that I found life quite a struggle back then. I love my girls with all my heart and found myself feeling a lot of sadness about the way family life had changed for me and for them, even though I hadn't wanted it to. I looked around me and seemed to see 'families' everywhere, doing the things we used to do as a family. My heart was truly broken and even though I was moving forward (I had no choice, I had to) I was also looking back, longing for the old times and holding on to memories that brought about a whole mixture of emotions.
Along with this emotional and physical change in family life, my finances changed too. At that time I wasn't working and had to go onto benefits. I had always looked after the finances and so knew how to look after the household budget but this change in circumstance meant I was now having to count every penny.
But during this time I really felt God put it on my heart to think of others in less fortunate circumstances even though I was feeling quite sorry for myself. I could hear God say,
"You have a roof over your head, you've eaten today, you have nice clothes and a comfy bed...there are people who are worse off...take a look around you!"

And so I did. A friend of mine had told me about Compassion, a Christian organisation which enables you to sponsor a child from an international country who is living in extreme poverty. Compassion partners up with local churches to address the child's spiritual, economic, social and physical needs. They present every child with an opportunity to become fulfilled Christian adults.
I felt God telling me that even though I was living on a really tight budget, I could do this, He would make it possible even under the circumstances. God was saying that if I blessed others, He would bless me accordingly.


And He did...with a lovely little girl called Metsehet!



 
 
 

She is 12 years old now and we have been sponsoring her since 2007. Here is a little bit about her:

Metsehet lives on the plains of Huruta in Ethiopia and lives under the care of her grandfather. Sadly, her mother is no longer alive and it is not known if her father is alive.There are two children in the family, Metsehet and a boy. Her home duties include running errands and cleaning.  For fun, Metsehet enjoys playing house and reading, She attends church and Sunday school regularly. She also attends school locally.
Huruta is home to approximately 15,000 residents. Typical houses are constructed of dirt floors, wood walls and corrugated iron roofs. The primary ethnic group is Oromo and the most commonly spoken language is Oromiffa. The regional diet consists of maize, beans and teff (local grain). Common health problems in this area include TB, HIV/ AIDS and water borne diseases. Most adults in Huruta work as day labourers and earn the equivalent of approximately £5 per month. This community has water, electricity and telephone service but needs vocational training centres and employment opportunities.
Sponsorship allows the staff of Huruta Mekane Yesus child development center to provide Metsehet with Bible teaching, hygiene and health education, health screening, supplementary food, recreational activities, picnics, field trips, educational materials, tuition, tutoring and counselling services.

I write regularly to Metsehet and she writes back some very sweet letters, usually asking about the things we have been up to and I remember her asking once if we have a 'Dry Season'! Not in this country, I replied!
I also get a copy of her school report and she is doing well, performing just above average.








The girls also like to write the occasional letter and my youngest daughter is just a few months younger than Metsehet.
What different lives they lead. It would be so good to meet Metsehet one day. I feel she is part of our family and I am blessed to have her in my life. We pray for her often and can only imagine how life is for her, but I do feel that because she is part of the Compassion organisation, she is getting the best opportunities available to her.

Sponsoring Metsehet has changed my life for the better. I have a 'daughter' living in Africa who means so much to me. She has made me see life from a different perspective. When I look back to the days when I was struggling as a single parent and finances were tight, things were so much worse for little Metsehet and her family. She was living in extreme poverty and had lost her mum...we were still a family, all be it 'changed' but the girls still had me providing them with love, stability and a nice home to live in. And as the years progressed my life would change again, for the better this time, with Phil coming coming into it, not long after I started supporting Metsehet!

I want to ask you at this time of year, when we look to the future and the new year ahead whether you would consider sponsoring a child like Metsehet? I know some people like to make New Year's resolutions to change their lives for the better, how about changing someone elses life for the better...not only changing their life but their future?
I know for a lot of us that the economic climate means finances are tight and when I started sponsoring Metsehet they were for me too, but I can promise you, the blessings you receive in knowing you are helping someone less fortunate are so much more than the financial commitment you make on a a monthly basis. Just knowing there is a little child out there, benefiting from your help, is enough in itself but you also receive letters and photos and the knowledge that their future is brighter because of your commitment in their life.

Love and prayers
Marie xx





No comments:

Post a Comment